Developing our Leaders of Tomorrow
Leadership Gainesville (LG) is a year-long community leadership program designed to identify, educate and develop leadership skills. Each year approximately 40 individuals are selected to participate in the program following completion of a competitive application process.
Leadership Gainesville’s principal goal is to build a resource of community leadership on a planned, continuing basis. Each session examines key themes and issues affecting our community. Leadership Gainesville has four specific objectives:
- Identify community leaders
- Expand the leadership potential of participants by increasing their knowledge of the Gainesville/Alachua County area
- Improve communications between present and future leaders
- Provide a channel for those not presently in leadership roles to gain access to positions of community leadership in an informed and responsible manner
LG provides future leaders the opportunity to develop leadership skills by networking with individuals in the community that represent business, law, religion, civic groups, the arts, minority organizations, education, health care, government, human services and volunteer organizations.
Who should participate?
Nominations are sought and encouraged from all segments of our community. Individuals can nominate themselves or those that they feel best exemplify the LG program philosophy and goals. Participants are selected from applications made to the selection committee. Participants are selected based on merits through a highly competitive admissions process.
Leadership Gainesville is primarily a course for emerging leaders, but it is not a starting point. Prior to joining the LG program, participants are expected to have established careers, demonstrated talent and leadership qualities, and participated in community activities.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to serving the community, including evidence of past community activities
- Show evident potential for significant role in the community in the future
- Have full support from their sponsoring organization or business and a willingness to commit the time and energy necessary to complete the program.
If accepted into LG, participants will join a long list of distinguished alumni.
- The selection committee is made up of past graduates of Leadership Gainesville. The names of committee members are kept confidential in order to make the selection process as objective as possible.
- The number of participants in each LG class is limited; applicants not selected are strongly encouraged to reapply in subsequent years.
- The selection committee reviews and rates each applicant. Applicants are then listed in order of numerical value.
- It is the responsibility of the selection committee to assure diversity. For instance, if the top 40 nominees indicated more women than men or more of one profession than another (i.e. more engineers than financial/bankers, etc.) the selection committee is responsible for balancing group dynamics.
- All information from the meetings is confidential.
Time Requirements if Selected:
- Meet once a month (generally the second Tuesday) for 10 months. August and May are exceptions, there are 3 required sessions in August and May.
- Start times vary for each session (from 7 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.) but the end time will be 5:00 (excluding trip to Tallahassee).
- In addition to monthly meetings, participants will shadow an educator, ride along with a law enforcement officer, shadow a physician and attend government meetings.
- The class will make a trip to Tallahassee to meet with state legislators.
- Although not required, many classes enjoy socializing after sessions or at other times.
- Attendance is expected at all sessions and shadow experiences.
After Graduation from Leadership Gainesville
The greatest single benefit of Leadership Gainesville is the network that is created. The alumni have a mutual respect for the experience and are committed to working with other Leadership Gainesville graduates to improve our community. There is a very active Leadership Gainesville Alumni Association (LGAA) that sponsors informational and social events and distributes a newsletter to alumni members. Your first year membership dues are included in your tuition and you are encouraged to get involved with LGAA immediately upon graduation.