Greater Gainesville’s industry assets are unmatched. Low operating costs, the state’s youngest and most educated population, and global connectivity have supported Greater Gainesville’s transformation into a global hub of talent, innovation and opportunity. Our regional economy provides particular strength in the following industries.
Greater Gainesville is home to a growing IT/Software sector with companies ranging from game development, to human engagement. Coupled with Florida’s status as an in-demand location for hi-tech establishments, Greater Gainesville’s tech scene provides the perfect place for tech companies of all sizes.
- Key Assets: Gainesville Tech Council, Gainesville Dev Academy, STEM Ready, Hacker House, UF HiPerGator 2.0,
- Select companies: Mindtree, Info Tech, Sharpspring, Mobiquity, Optym
Agricultural Sciences & Technology
Greater Gainesville provides an unmatched set of resources for agricultural sciences & technology companies seeking world-class research partnerships led by preeminent researchers. With its growing international presence of agriculture and food sciences, this region is setting the stage for major success in this sector.
- Key Assets: UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
- Select companies: Meriuex Nutrisciences, Actionable Quality Assurance
Greater Gainesville is at the heart of Florida’s thriving biotechnology sector. Fueled by world-class incubators, and rooted in a legacy of leadership in the commercialization of research, Greater Gainesville’s Life Sciences/Biotechnology sector is rich in research and commercial successes.
- Key: Sid Martin Biotechnology Incubator, UF Office of Research
- Select companies: AGTC, Novabone, Nanotherapeutics, Axogen, RTI Surgical
Greater Gainesville’s advanced manufacturing sector represents the future of the industry in Florida. Ranging from large-scale medical device manufacturers, to life-saving gear for first responders, Greater Gainesville’s manufacturing sector–which is comprised of about 200 companies employing 4,000 people– has evolved into a go-to source for in-demand consumer goods.
- Key Assets: The Advanced Manufacturing Council, the Sante Fe College Career and Technical Education Programs
- Select companies: Exactech, Milliken-Sivance, Fabco-Air, Invivo
With multimodal access within close reach, Greater Gainesville–which is the halfway point between Atlanta and Miami– provides a strong location for advanced logistics companies. For instance, I-75 and state roads 301 and 441 run right through the Greater Gainesville region, and I-10 is just half an hour away. Greater Gainesville is within 100 miles of Jaxport and about 130 miles from the Port of Tampa.
- Assets and resources: Close proximity to major roads, 85 miles from Jaxport, 131 miles from Port of Tampa, Gainesville Regional Airport
- Select companies: Florida Food Service, Nordstrom, Walmart, Dollar General