Request for Letter of Interest: City of Waldo, FloridaApril 3rd, 2016 by gainesvillechamber
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTAL: MAY 16, 2016
WALDO HAS A BUILDING—DO YOU HAVE IDEAS FOR ITS USE?
The City of Waldo is soliciting letters of interest for use of all or part of the historic Waldo Community School. For almost 150 years the beautiful Waldo Community School has served as both a physical and emotional focal point for the community. The school building is owned by the Alachua County School Board, but with the recent closing of the Waldo Community School the School Board has offered to let the City of Waldo seek alternative uses for the building that would be a benefit to the community. The purpose of this request is to solicit ideas from the community for uses of the building that would provide such benefit.
The Alachua County School Board has recently spent substantial sums on improvements at the school, including painting, re-roofing, new security fencing, and new windows. The spaces available in the building include the following:
- 15 classrooms ranging in square footage from 627 to 920 square feet.
- A cafeteria and kitchen space that is 2,200 square feet.
- An auditorium that has a stage, seats, and is 2,642 square feet.
- Other miscellaneous rooms ranging in size from 238 to 2,456 square feet.
- A variety of storage spaces.
There are some limitations on the use of the building, including the following:
- The requirements, rules, and laws of the Alachua County School Board and the State of Florida would apply.
- The proposed use or activity must not threaten the structural integrity of the building.
- The City of Waldo will be required to obtain approval from the Alachua County School Board before any project is commenced that proposes to make any substantial changes to the building, infrastructure, or site.
An interested party may submit a letter of interest for using all or any part of the school building. The proposal could be for any use that would be a benefit to the community, such as by providing public services, jobs, retail goods or services, cultural amenities, entertainment, education, or economic development. Waldo is not looking for anything in particular and encourages novel and creative uses and ideas.
The letter of interest should include the following information:
- A detailed description of the proposed use and the community benefit that the use would provide.
- A proposed commencement date for the use, and the minimum term that would be required in the lease.
- A description of the parts of the Waldo Community School that would be used, and what modifications to that space would be needed.
- A description of any financial or other assistance requested from the City of Waldo.
- A description of what financial arrangements would be sought with regard to rent, utilities, maintenance, and the like.
For additional information please contact:
City of Waldo
Kim Worley, City Manager
P.O. Drawer B
Waldo FL 32694
Please submit proposals to Kim Worley at the above address. The City of Waldo looks forward to seeing your ideas. You can also visit our website waldo-fl.com for a layout and more information on the school.